Bánh xèo is a rustic dish that many Vietnamese sincerely prefer. This is also a kind of food with bold features of Vietnamese cuisine that “fascinates” many foreign tourists. Although the making procedure is simple, each region has different variations, making the Viet pancake more diverse and rich. Let’s learn how to make delicious and easy 3-region pancakes below to show off your talents easily!
Maybe you also want to know more about Moon cake or Mon cake, you can try visiting our blog to get the recipe.
What is Bánh xèo?
Banh xeo is a kind of Vietnamese crepe spread across all regions of Vietnam, this dish often appears in the South Central and Southern provinces. Pancakes in each region will be different in color, size, type of filling, and dipping sauce. The common point of all kinds of pancakes in Vietnam is that they are made from diluted rice flour, then thinly coated on a pan and deep fried.
The name “banh xeo” comes from the sound when it is poured. When the person makes a dough rack into the hot oil pan, the sizzling sound is heard and lasts until the cake is almost cooked. Hence, this traditional cake is called banh xeo.
Vietnamese pancake recipe: How to make Banh xeo?
Below is the banh xeo recipe from Tasty Touch:
Bánh Xèo Recipe: Making Tasty Vietnamese Pancake?Course: Cake (Bánh), RecipesCuisine: Vietnamese
Below is the simple but tasty Bánh Xèo recipe. Let’s begin:
200g pancake flour
50ml coconut milk
50g shiitake mushrooms
300g pork belly
300g straw mushrooms
1 white radish
50 gr green onions 50 gr
2 chili peppers
Lettuce, collard greens, herbs, bean sprouts, lemon
Other seasonings: monosodium glutamate, salt, fish sauce, turmeric, vinegar
- Step 1: Prepare ingredients
Purchase fresh bacon; the flesh has excellent flexibility, is a light color, and is not sticky to the touch. Only buy barcon, then wash, and cut them into thin pieces.
When buying shrimp, you should only choose those that are alive, have a smooth shell, and live between fresh and clear bodies, which are fresh, and firm shrimp. Peel the shell off of the black tiger shrimp, remove the black thread on the back and wash.
The onion should be washed, peeled, and finely sliced. The spring onion root should be picked, cleaned, and chopped into tiny pieces. White radishes and carrots, peeled, cleaned, and shredded.
Herbs and bean sprouts should be washed, soaked in diluted salt water for 15 to 20 minutes, then removed to air dry. 50g of shiitake mushrooms should be soaked until soft before being sliced into tiny pieces and rinsed with clean water.
Wash herbs and bean sprouts, soak them in dilute salt water for about 15-20 minutes, then take them out to dry. Take 50g of shiitake mushrooms to soak until soft, rinse with clean water and cut into small pieces.
Tips for soaking shiitake mushrooms: For dried shiitake mushrooms: soak the mushrooms in water for about 1-2 hours, then rinse with clean water, and drain before processing. For fresh shiitake mushrooms: you can soak the mushrooms in warm water for 1-2 minutes to remove all the sand and sawdust.
- Step 2: Mix flour to make pancakes
Add the pancake flour and 1 tablespoon after the coconut milk and 400 ml of water have been fully dissolved. Use a little seasoning, and salt, sprinkle with scallions, and stir until the powder is smooth and no longer lumpy. For the dough to properly rise, let it rest for 20 to 30 minutes.
You normally don’t need to add a lot of spice since packaged banh xeo comes pre-seasoned. Be careful not to overmix the dough since this will result in a thick and challenging-to-cook crust. To increase the crispness of the crust after it is cooked, you may add 1 cup of beer to the flour mixture. Many people summarize and use this method to produce crispy pancakes.
- Step 3: Stir-fry the pancakes
The skillet should be heated, with a little oil added before adding the minced shallots and cooking them until fragrant.
Shrimp and beef are added to the pan along with 1/2 teaspoon of pepper, 1/2 teaspoon of MSG, 1/3 teaspoon of salt, and 1 teaspoon of fish sauce after the onions are aromatic. Add the onion, carrot, and shiitake mushrooms to the pan and stir-fry for an additional few minutes, or until the veggies are cooked.
Stir-fry the food for a complete meal over medium heat. When the onions change color slightly, season to taste and then turn off the heat
- Step 4: Pour delicious pancakes
Put 1 tablespoon of cooking oil in a non-stick pan, and wait for the oil to boil. Pour some batter into the pan and tilt it to coat it well. Add shrimp, meat, onion, and some bean sprouts, and cover for about 30 seconds until the dough is cooked. Fold the cake in half and continue to fry the remaining portions until they are golden and crispy on both sides. Continue until the dough is finished.
Put the bean sprouts on the island with oil or cook until cooked if you can’t eat them raw. Lard may be used to cook pancakes, making the finished product. Pay attention when making pancakes, don’t let the heat be too high, the crust will be easily scorched, and the meat will be tough and not delicious.
- Step 5: Make the dipping sauce
First, after buying garlic, you should peel it and then mince it to make the fish sauce more delicious. Next, let’s begin chopping the chili into small pieces. Both increase the spiciness and add attractiveness to the dipping sauce.
Squeeze the lemon to get the lemon juice. Take about 1 tablespoon of lemon juice into the bowl, remember to filter the lemon seeds carefully to make the fish sauce look more aesthetic.
You in turn put 5 tablespoons of fish sauce and 4 tablespoons of sugar into a bowl of water containing 6 tablespoons of filtered water. Next, add the lemon juice obtained above and stir well with your hands, stirring until the sugar dissolves.
Next, you add the minced chili and garlic in step 1 to make the fish sauce more fragrant and beautiful. Garlic will make your fish sauce more fragrant and delicious.
Stir the mixture until all of the sugar has dissolved. You can re-season or add chili to suit your family’s taste.
Note: If you want the fish sauce to be more beautiful, you should add chili and garlic last, because if you put it first, the chili and garlic will sink under the bowl, not pretty.
- Step 6: Make sourdough
Put the shredded white radish and carrot in a bowl, and marinate with 2 tablespoons of sugar, 5 tablespoons of vinegar, and 200 ml of filtered water, mix well and let stand for about 10 minutes to soften the radish and carrot.
- Step 7: Finished Banh xeo
Northern pancakes with bright yellow color and attractive aroma have been completed. The crispy crust and delicious filling will surely make you fall in love.
You can serve it with lettuce, broccoli, and herbs for a delicious and less greasy dish.
Tips for making tasty Vietnamese crepe
How to choose tasty and fresh shrimp?
- You should choose shrimp with transparent legs and stick to the shrimp body because it is fresh shrimp. Do not buy shrimp with loose, discolored legs.
- Pay attention to buying shrimp with a slightly curved body, firm flesh, intact shrimp shell, and shrimp head sticking to the body.
- Do not buy shrimp with tail spread, loose, missing tail fins, and not neatly folded together because it may be shrimp that has been caught for a long time and soaked in preservatives.
How to choose fresh pork?
- Buy pork with bright red or dark red color, shiny, dry outer membrane, and even texture.
- You should choose pieces of pork that when touched with your hands see the meat has good elasticity, and firmness and when smelling the natural aroma of the meat.
- Do not buy meat that is dark red or light green and watery as this is a sign that the meat has gone rancid.
- In addition, you also avoid buying pork that has an unpleasant odor, is mushy, and has no elasticity because it may be the meat that is about to spoil when processing the dish will be very harmful to health.
- You can use minced meat or thinly sliced lean shoulder meat to make the pancakes more delicious.
Tips to preverse bánh xèo
- The amount of water mixed into the dough needs to be correct, if the dough is mixed with too much water, the finished cake will be soft and not crispy.
- The thinner the pancake batter and the longer it takes to cook the pancakes, the crispier the cake will be, but you need to turn it over so that it doesn’t burn.
- After frying the cake, you should put the cake on absorbent paper or put it on the griddle, leave it open, and do not cover the cake so that the steamed cake will quickly go bad.
Above are the shares of Tasty Touch about the secret to making delicious and nutritious bánh xèo. Good luck to you!