Bo kho has long been known as a traditional dish in Vietnamese cuisine. This is a delicious dish that tourists visiting Vietnam must try because of its unique and extremely delicious taste. Braised beef is very popular in Vietnamese rice trays, and can be used for daily meals or even during holidays. This kind of food is not too picky about ingredients but is extremely nutritious and rich in flavor.
If you are too “bored” with everyday meals, why not go to the kitchen and try your hand at making an extremely delicious and attractive braised dish called bò kho with bread to change the taste, for Family meals become warmer.
What is bo kho?
Braised beef is a kind of Vietnamese beef stew, originating in the South of Vietnam. No one knows exactly how long this dish was present in Saigon. The conjecture dates back to the 1950s. The authentic and flavorful braised beef dishes in old Saigon are all derived from the Chinese cooking method. According to their taste, this dish is seasoned with five-spice powder.
However, the Saigon people changed it by adding more spices to make the sauce more comparable. Originally, Braised Beef was used by the South Vietnamese with a variety of coriander to enhance the flavor of the dish. Although called braised beef, the main processing method of the dish is stewing, the form of stock is used to marinate and firm beef before stewing. This dish is also famous outside of Vietnam.
How to make tasty braised beef Vietnamese?
Braised beef is a favorite dish loved by many families. In the past, to cook a delicious bowl of braised beef in the right way, it needed a lot of ingredients and went through many complicated steps. However, today we will guide you on how to cook delicious braised beef, tender beef with taste, using a package of braised beef seasoning sauce. Let’s start cooking together!
Bo Kho Recipe: How to Make Vietnamese Beef Stew?Course: Beef, RecipesCuisine: Vietnamese
Below is the simple but tasty Bò kho recipe. Let’s begin:
Bread: 5 pieces
Beef tenderloin: 500 gr
Braised beef seasoning sauce: 1 pack (90g)
Fresh coconut water: 1.5 liters
Lemongrass: 3 branches
Ginger: 1 branch
Tapioca flour: 2 tablespoons
Onion: 1 piece
Purple onion: 4 pieces
Cashew oil seeds: 1 teaspoon
Fish sauce: 2 tablespoons
Basil: 50 gr
Coriander: 50 gr
White wine: 1 cup
Cooking oil: 2 tablespoons
Chili: 2 bulbs
Common seasoning 1 little (sugar/salt/pepper/seasoning/monosodium glutamate)
- Step 1: Prepare beef
To remove dirt and odors, when you buy beef, squeeze it with a little salt and white wine for about 15 minutes, then wash it a few times with water, and drain. Use a knife to cut the beef into bite-sized pieces.
- Step 2: Prepare other ingredients
Peel the carrots, wash them, and then use a knife to cut the carrots into bite-sized chunks. Ginger is washed, peeled, and then chopped. Peeled onion, finely chopped. Lemongrass washed and sliced. Peeled onion.
Coriander, cilantro, and basil pick up old and deep leaves (if any) then wash them several times with water, and drain.
- Step 3: Marinate the beef
Marinate beef with 1 packet of seasoning sauce, 1.5 tablespoons of sugar, 1 tablespoon of fish sauce, 1 teaspoon of MSG, 1 pinch of pepper, 1/2 amount of lemongrass, ginger, and minced shallot.
Mix well, put in the refrigerator, and marinate for about 4 hours or overnight for the beef to infuse the spices.
- Step 4: Stew the beef
Put the pot on the stove, add 2 tablespoons of cooking oil to heat, then add 1 teaspoon of cashew oil and beat on medium heat until the oil turns a beautiful orange-yellow, then remove the cashews.
Add the remaining part of lemongrass, minced purple onion, and ginger to the pan, then add the beef and stir-fry on medium heat for about 5 minutes until the meat is cooked again.
Next, pour 1.5 liters of fresh coconut water and 1 onion into the pot, cover, and continue to stew beef for about 40 minutes until the meat is tender.
After 40 minutes, you take out the onion, then add the whole carrot, 1 teaspoon of seasoning, 1 tablespoon of fish sauce, and 1 tablespoon of sugar, and stew for another 10 minutes until the carrots are soft. and the water in the pot boils again.
Prepare 1 cup of about 200ml of water mixed with 2 tablespoons of tapioca starch. When the pot of braised beef comes to a boil, pour the tapioca water into it, stir while stirring until the water in the pot reaches the desired consistency, then season to taste and then turn off the stove.
- Step 5: Finished bo kho
Scoop the braised beef into a bowl, use scissors to cut cilantro, basil, and a little fresh chili on top, and decorate it beautifully.
The finished braised beef dish has an extremely attractive color and aroma. The broth is rich, the beef tenderloin is simmered, impregnated with spices, the fat of the fat and crispy tendons, and the carrots are soft and sweet, all blended together to create an attractive dish.
You can use this dish with bread and dip it with a little salt, pepper, lemon, or fish sauce to feel the full flavor!
Tips for making Bo kho
How to choose to buy fresh beef?
- For stews or stews with beef, you should choose the beef tenderloin, beef bucket, or beef tendon,… This is the best part of the beef that is interwoven between fat, meat, and tendon. When eating, you will feel the soft taste, the fatness of the fat, and the delicious crunch of the tendons.
- You should prefer to choose a piece of beef with bright red color mixed with white veins and yellow fat, soft, small, and not too smooth-looking beef.
- If you press lightly with your hand on a delicious piece of beef, it will have good firmness and elasticity, not cause the feeling of sticky hands and no unpleasant or unusual odors will appear.
- You should avoid buying pieces of beef that are pale green or dark red, the fat is dark yellow, white spots appear on the grain and when touching, it feels pasty and sticky.
How to choose to buy fresh carrots?
- Fresh carrots are medium in size, straight and elongated towards the tail, with smooth skin, a firm grip, and slightly firm.
- Choose carrots with a bright, dark orange color, with fresh green petioles sticking to the stem.
- Do not choose carrots with stems that are shriveled, the body is bruised, viscous, and bruises appear, press with your hand to feel soft.
- Do not choose bulbs that are too big with leaves, branches at the base, and shoulders of large, thick bulbs because these are old bulbs, and will have more fiber and fewer nutrients.
Tips to eliminate the bad smell of beef:
- You can roast a ginger root, then use a razor to scrape off the burnt skin, pound it and rub the piece of ginger on the beef so that the aroma from the spicy ginger will help remove the smell of the beef.
- White wine is also a good solution to get rid of beef odors. Just soak the beef with alcohol for about 15 minutes, then rinse it with clean water.
- Mixing a little lemon juice or vinegar with beef also helps to eliminate the smell of meat.
- You can also rub salt into the beef and leave it for 5 minutes, then rinse it with water.
- Beef can also be deodorized if you use warm water to soak beef, when the surface of the meat heats up and condenses, the fishy smell is also reduced.
- Using minced onion or garlic marinated with beef not only helps to deodorize but also makes beef more delicious.
Above are the shares of Tasty Touch about the secret to making delicious and nutritious bo kho Good luck to you!